Sunday, April 18, 2010

Should have named this blog "stuck on hold"

I'm still on hold trying to get in touch with the 24 hour emergency travel agency. At this point I have been on hold for 4 1/2 hours. This is the downside of this being corporate travel. My company's Travel Services sent out an email this morning basically saying "Hey we know you are stuck because of the volcano, but please make all your arrangements through the travel agencies cause we're trying to figure out how to get you home and need to know where you are." So I get that, but it also means that I need to follow "procedure" when I'm making my plans as opposed to what I'd like to do--head south until I can fly west, cost/timing/logistics be damned. Unfortunately...
(note--at this point while typing, I got ahold of someone, so it was about 4:32 that I was on hold. awesome)
...I can not really afford to be paying my own way south and west, so I'm just going to follow policy and procedure. I'm hoping my company works something out to get us back other than just continuing to wait around.

The agent I'm speaking with just told me that he can't find any seats on any flights until next Sunday 4/25 and put me back on hold. Do I add this as incremental additional hold time to the previous 4 hours and 32 (now 33) minutes?

Back off hold. He says Sunday 4/25 is the best we can do. I asked to make sure it was cancellable in case the real Travel Services office for my company has a better plan. He said he needed to check something and put me back on hold again.

So now as we roll on to the 4:35 mark, I'd just like to note that I have basically lost an entire weekend day again here in Brussels. I basically spent 2 of the last 3 days mostly dealing with travel logistics.

Allright, back off hold again (up to ~4:45)...and yes, I have a ticket home (that I cancel if needed) for ... (drumroll please) ... next Sunday, 4/25. That flight goes to Dulles, actually, but once I'm on North America I can take care of the rest. I'm going to have to call my company's regular Travel Services office tomorrow AM (well, it'll be PM here) as soon as they open and find out if they have a better plan in mind that might get me home sooner.

Allright, finally off the phone, 4:51 after I called. With a ticket for a flight to North America that doesn't leave for 7 more days. Unreal.

On the plus side, there's really absolutely nothing more I can do until tomorrow afternoon when I can call the real Travel Services office, so I can finally get cleaned up and go try to enjoy another night in Brussels.

No comments:

Post a Comment